Living for the Master

In this blog I share lessons I've learned and experiences I have had with God. I hope they encourage and bless you! Lynn

Sunday, January 15, 2012

New Study - Made to Crave

Today is the official start of the new study of "Made to Crave" by Lysa Terkeurst (President of Proverbs 31 Ministries) "Satisfying your deepest desire with God, not food".

Lysa Hosted a study with her new book last year when it first came out, however for whatever reason I looked in on it but did not do the whole study. So now the study is being offered again, this time hosted by another Proverbs 31 Author and Speaker Melissa Taylor . Great timing for me to start the new year and make better choices.

Our Word for the Week is Empowered. Every time we are temped with bad choices we need to remember that God has empowered us to make right choices.

As I read the introduction and 1st Chapter today, one of the lines that stood out to me was "Shallow desires produce shallow efforts." That really explains a lot of our failed attempts in life. So many times in life we just want to treat the outward manifestation of our problems such as being overweight rather than digging into the root of the problem. Have you ever pulled weeds in a flower bed before and had one break off at ground level? It does not take long before the evidence of that weed makes it's presence known again. That's the same result we often get with going on a diet. We lose the weight, but with out making real changes in our approach to food we soon after find ourselves overweight and struggling to get thin again.
Our Pastor told us that if we wanted something to change we needed to change something. So true, you can't do the same thing and expect different results, it won't happen. One day as I was pondering this and talking with God, He gave me this nugget. Lynn if you want permanent results you need to make permanent changes. This is what I want to do with my life, make positive, permanent changes.

One of the scriptures listed in the first chapter is 1 Corinthians 10:23 "I have the right to do anything," you say - but not everything is beneficial. " I have the right to do anything" - but not everything is constructive. NIV God lets us choose (free will) but that doesn't mean all the choices we make are good.

Father God, help me to make right choices help me to crave you and not the things of this world. Help me to see the differences between spiritual hunger and physical hunger. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Blessings,
Lynn

1 comment:

David C Brown said...

I have strength for all things in him who gives me power, Phil 4: 13