Living for the Master

In this blog I share lessons I've learned and experiences I have had with God. I hope they encourage and bless you! Lynn

Monday, May 11, 2009

Being Kind to the Poor

Things that struck me from my Chronological Reading today and Wendy's Comments.

Psalm 41:1 Oh, the joys of those who are kind to the poor! The Lord rescues them when they are in trouble.


My Mother and I despite our differences at times in life were best friends. She was raised by her Grandmother because her own Mother died when my Mom was 4. From what Mom told us Great Grandma was not very kind to my Mom, but did teach a very special lesson to Mom that has been passed down. Be kind to the poor. Great Grandma lived a couple miles from the train tracks and the "Hobo's" as they were called in the 40's and 50's would come to the back door and she would give them a plate of food. She told my Mother never to deny anyone a meal you never knew when it might be Jesus. Before my Mom passed away, she had a thriving ministry of feeding the homeless. Even as her own health was very frail she would cook a hot meal every Saturday take it to the park and pray with the less fortunate and then they could have a hot meal and a sack lunch. With so many that stand on the side of the road, it is easy to get desensitized to the poor, but I ask God for discernment on who to help and who not to. I too have a great desire to always be giving. Many times in my life I was not wise with my giving nature and was taken advantage of. That's where the discernment has needed to come in. I have learned that even though God tells us to give and be kind to the less fortunate that we need to use His wisdom and discernment, so that we are balanced.

Thanks for listening,
Have a Blessed Day,Lynn

2 comments:

From the Heart said...

Great post and a lot to think about.
AliceE.
PS Don't forget to come to my blog, I have a surprize for you.

ocmist said...

Wow... This reminds me so much of my Mom and her example to us. She was orphaned at 4 yrs. old and was in several foster homes until she, her sister and her brother, were taken in by an alcoholic aunt. They were often abused, but one of her foster parent had been a Christian and she had accepted Christ and never forgot to be kind to others. She lived out that principle in everything she did, and my sisters and I were all taught by her example. Linda