Living for the Master

In this blog I share lessons I've learned and experiences I have had with God. I hope they encourage and bless you! Lynn

Monday, May 19, 2008

Hula

When I was 11 years old my Sister signed up to be a host/trainer for a Seeing Eye Dog. She filled out all the paperwork and applications and was approved. Well shortly before the dog was to arrive she had a change of heart and decided that she no longer wanted to go through with the whole program. She may have gotten a job or something because she was about 18 or 19 at that point, however I don't remember the reasoning behind the change of heart. So my Mom and Dad made phone calls explaining it all and the administration was not sure what to do because the puppy was ready to go. So I asked if I could do it. Well they had never had anyone my age sponsor a Seeing Eye Dog before however they didn't have any rules against it so they said they would give it a try.

Well a few weeks go by and finally it is time to travel the 45 miles to the airport and pick up our new family member. We met her and found out her name was "Hula" be cause she was long and her back end swayed back and forth when she walked. She was a full blooded Black Labrador retriever, full of energy.

How the program worked was we would raise the dog for 6-12 months training her in basic obedience, then she would go back to the training facility and train for 3-6 months on how to be a Guide Dog. Then they match the personality of the Dogs with that of a blind recipient and then the two of them train together. If at any of these stages the dog can't complete within certain criteria they are not deemed a suitable Guide Dog. Well we had a list of rules and regulations a mile long and it was very important that we follow them or she (Hula) would not become an actual Guide Dog. She had to go everywhere with us and be by my side everywhere except school. Back then the programs and rules were not as accommodating as they are now. She had vitamins to take, special food and certain ways you could discipline her.

When we 1st got her we were instructed to tie her to the bed so that she learned she had to sleep right next to her master. This was all well and fine until she needed to go potty. Well my sister and I shared a bedroom and I would sleep through Hula's whimpers to relieve herself. Whereas my sister was ever so kind to get up walk over to my bed, shake me awake and tell me to take the dog out. Now this did not make sense, you're awake, you're out of bed, you let the dog out. I know she's my dog but come on would it really hurt you.

Well Hula was shipped back and her high spirit pushed her to the edge of training, but she did make it as a Guide Dog and I was able to go to her Graduation and present her to her blind mistress in a ceremony in San Rafael CA. Considering I was from a town with a population of 560, that was a huge deal, and we have funny family stories from the trip that I may share in another post.

But through the years at different times it has come to mind about waking me up to let the dog out and I still didn't get it -until now. This is one of those it's so simple you miss it. It was all part of equipping me.

This was my responsibility and as little as it may have seemed to have her do part of it that would not have equipped me. My sister shaking me awake to take the dog out is like the Nudging that God does when he is trying to get us to move forward or do what we need to do. It's like when you have hope of being a Pastor and God wants you to usher. God has already provided everything we ever need but it is up to us and our willingness to be obedient to His Nudge.

Luke 16:10 "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.

We don't always know why God moves us in such a direction, but he does. Be faithful and obedient and He will be faithful and rewarding in return.

Be Blessed,
Lynn

1 comment:

Plant Lady said...

Lynn,
What a great post! I know you really must have enjoyed that very much. I think it would be such a great thing to be a part of such a great program. They really do a great job with the dogs-a lot of time, effort and dedication.

I'm sure you felt a sense of accomplishment as you completed your part of the "education".

I was wondering if you found it hard when Hula left you. I'm would think that you would form an attachment! I probably would. I love dogs!

Talk to you later,
Plant Lady