Living for the Master

In this blog I share lessons I've learned and experiences I have had with God. I hope they encourage and bless you! Lynn

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Mays Dinner Party

Hi Ladies,

Well the dinner turned out wonderful, however I know Jesus was helping and intervening. I will back up a little so I can give you the whole story. My husband and I have couples from our church over to dinner about once a month. We try to get a couple or family that is newer and a couple or family that has been there for a while that we think may either blend or get one or the other to grow. And all of it is to help us to get to know people in our church better also. And since I love to cook, this works out great.

This month was a challenge we had a really hard time getting a Friday night that would work for them, due to their schedules but it was finally set. Then both of the other couples that were supposed to come could not make it. Oh well we would have the one couple and their triplet boys, it would still be fun.

As much as I love to cook, I always take way too long trying to decide what I should make to eat and what will go with it. Well a couple of the girls at work have been asking for me to make my chicken enchiladas and bring them in so I decided this would work great I could make and then take extras in to the gals at work. I just needed to decide what to have with it. So I decided, Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas, Spanish Rice, Re fried Beans, Tomato Cucumber Salad, Chips and 3 Salsas, and Guacamole. I don't usually do a whole lot on the desserts, I keep them simple, however with the 9 yr old triplets I thought it would be fun to have cookies. About a week ago I saw an advertisement for Peanut Butter and Jelly cookies, and thought that would be so fun. I also thought this would be a great opportunity to sneak in some of those Chocolate Cake cookies I love so much. :) Ok, I have Friday off, my Hubby said he'll go shopping with me on Thursday night (yes I'm very blessed) so I can just get up and work my stuff. So I'm good to Go!

Thursday morning on my way out the door to work I got a call from a co-worker that changed the schedule for the day and threatened to cancel Fridays plans. I will post about this later on my other Blog. Jesus intervened and I didn't have to work Friday as I thought I may need to. However I did end up working 12 hours so shopping would have to wait until the morning.

Friday Morning: We got up like normal well I slept in until 4 am. (I didn't work out :( - figured with the cooking and cleaning it would have to do. ) we did our bible studies and I made my Husbands lunch and he left about 5:30. So I finish up my list and head out the door to go shopping. Aren't 24 hour stores the greatest. Got all my stuff, came home put it away and started in. I try to organise myself okay I organize a lot. :) But I like to think ahead, if I start this it can be cooking while I'm doing this.... So i started the cookies so while they were baking I could do something else. I made the Chocolate ones first, then I ended up making a double batch of Peanut Butter Cookies and made 1/2 with Jelly and 1/2 with out. I balled them up like normal but instead of pushing them down with a fork I made a little indent and put the jelly in. They turned out pretty good. Not that I'm supposed to be eating them. OOPPS! Then I started my Beans, and simmered them for a bout an hour before I put them in the crock pot to finish cooking for the day. Cooked the chicken so it could cool before I need to roll the enchiladas and then did the Rice. Once the rice was simmering I started all my chopping for the salad and salsas, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, cilantro, jalapenos..... Okay so the salad and salsas are done, now it's time to roll the enchiladas. And this will be the recipe I will give you. Quantity is up to you I made 49, but I had a reason to make that many. I cook a lot from scratch, example re fried beans from the dried bean... however there are some things that I use to save time or cut corners, as you will see.

Cheese Enchiladas

Grated Cheddar and Jack Cheese. (I bought it already grated this time It was so nice)
Cotija Cheese
Corn Tortillas
Canned Mild Enchilada Sauce
Chili Powder
Cumin
Green onion (Optional)

Mix the cheddar and jack cheese 3 parts to one part of the cotija cheese. Add a dash or so of cumin and chili powder. Pour some of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of the baking dish you are using for the enchiladas. Heat some tortilla's so they are pliable. Put some of the cheese mixture in the center of the tortilla, fold the tortilla in half over the filling, roll you hand back sliding the top 1/2 of the tortilla back to the edge of the filling, this will make it tight, however don't rip the tortilla. Now roll it up and place it in the baking dish with edge down. Finish rolling the rest. Next cover the tops of the tortillas with enchilada sauce enough to cover not to drown. Sprinkle some cheddar and jack cheese on top and add Green onion on top if you like. Cover with tin foil and bake at 350 approx 30 minutes to heat and melt cheese.Chicken Enchiladas are made very much the same the filling is just a little different.

Chicken filling: Again portion is your choice.

Diced Cooked Skinless Chicken Breast seasoned with garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder.
Diced canned Green Chili's
Diced Green Onion
Cheddar, Jack and Cotija cheese. Again about 3 to 1 mix.

Roll and top like the cheese, however instead of the green onions on top I added sliced Black olives.

So after the cooking was all done and put in the fridge for later, I had to clean my hurricane Jane kitchen (that's what my Husband teases me about when I'm cooking) and spruce up the rest of the house, set the table and rest for a little while be for my guests arrive.

It went very well, we had a great time of fun and fellowship and got closer to some more of our church family. I did find later that I had forgotten to put out the salad. But there were plenty of leftovers so I don't think they went hungry.

Hope you're all have a great day. It is very bright and beautiful here today which is a nice change from all our rain. I'll post on my other blog so check back.

Be Blessed
Lynn

3 comments:

Paula V said...

I admire you rising so early on your day off. I suspect if I had THAT much to do, I too would get up that early. Sleep drives me most days though. I also admire that you make most of your stuff from scratch. That is something precious that with our fast paced lives it's difficult to do very much. I've never had a desire for making things from scratch much but it's very admirable.

It's beautiful here in Indiana. I was outside a bit pulling some weeds. I now need to do some reading and writing.
Love, Paula

Plant Lady said...

Lynn,
Your dinner party sounded great! I'm available anytime, if you need an extra guest! Ha! Ha!

I, too had a dinner party of sorts, except, I had very little warning and with no preparations made.

In my post, "Busy Day", on Saturday, I explained how that came to be. If you haven't checked it out, do so, when you get a chance. I had one more hectic day that day!

I think it's great that you and your husband do that each month to show hospitality and God's love and also grow in fellowship with others. It's so wonderful to get to know one another, like we are doing through our blogs. Keep up the good work!

Love,
Plant Lady

From the Heart said...

What a beautiful idea. There's a couple in our church (which is very large) who use to have new people over for the same reason you do. We use to have friends over but after all my surgeries I haven't been able to do that. I really miss doing those things.
You are truly a blessing,
AliceE.