Living for the Master

In this blog I share lessons I've learned and experiences I have had with God. I hope they encourage and bless you! Lynn

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Is your Curiosity a downfall?

Have you heard the phrase "Curiosity killed the Cat"? Well it is actually a proverb used to warn against being too inquisitive lest one comes to harm.
I think a major part if not all our troubles and sins might start with a form of curiosity. Bear with me as I break this down and illustrate. Words that go together on this are curious, nosey, inquisitive, busy body..... wait busy body hmm what's that. Well a busy body is defined as "inquisitive or officious", but what is officious, well thank you for asking. :) Officious means "volunteering one's services where they are neither asked nor needed - meddlesome"

Our curiosity leads us to things and places we do not need to go. What caused Eve to eat the apple. Well it was the serpent. Yes the Serpent came to her and told her that God was holding out on her and Adam. She was curious about not having the wisdom and knowledge of good and evil.
What about envy, what makes us envy other people? We are curious about what they have. But God created us to be a certain way for a reason. Take a peak at companies and factories that have "Secret recipes". The company goes to great lengths to keep the recipe secret. Part of what they do is no one is allowed to put too many of the ingredients in. There will be several people that put one of several ingredients in to the pot and then the pot is sent on to the next destination. Now it is very important that I put my ingredient in or the recipe does not come out right. If I get envious of someone else and want to have what they have I will not be putting in the right ingredient to make the finished project. Also if I get too curious about what their ingredient is, I am putting myself in a place of harm because I'm only supposed to know my ingredient and I could loose my "position".

When we step out of our calling we step out of God's protection.

You are not an odd duck. You're supposed to stand out. God didn't gift you with everything He gifted him/her with. If you have a talent, something that flows, that's the special part God wants you to use. Quit spending your time wondering what everybody else has or does. Develop what you have.

There are a lot of things I wish I could do better than I can, but they are not a natural talent for me. I have areas that I am good at and I work with them. It doesn't mean I can't ever play sports because I'm not good, it just means I need to keep it in balance. Our desires and curiosities to be like someone else often leads us to places we should not go. We have sports figures taking drugs because they are curious if it really will make them better.

If God calls you to it - He will bring you through it. Keep your Curiosity in Balance.

Have a Blessed Day!
Lynn

3 comments:

debrah said...

Hi Lynn:
I so agree we need to "think" about where our curiosity leads us...curious about how things work and willing to put in the time to discover who things work is admirable and desirable...building on a good solid foundation, another good thing...but being curious to be a busy body or to tear someone or something down...to expose something to cause humiliation, harm or shame to someone else...is destructive and should be avoided at all cost...thank you for this post - there are people who are inquisitive and you know they are sincerely interested in you as a person...others asking the same questions appear not as interested in you as they are in gathering information...sometimes I recoil from those just seeking information...my response is just as wrong as their approach...we all need to do unto others as we would have them do unto us...sometimes it is just a matter of maturity (not based on Chronicalogical age) other time it is the way we view the world is different than the way another views the world...while I may not like it at the time-the person who gently makes me aware that my behavior is inappropriate or hurtful is much more a friend then someone who displays the behavior I mentioned (recoiling from those who offend...) I have so much to learn about love...thanks again for a thought provoking post...
Be Blessed,
In His Love,
Debrah

From the Heart said...

A great post Lynn. Really makes you think twice about what how you are presenting yourself to others.
Thanks,
AliceE.

GOD'S LADIE said...

Amen! Thanks so much for standing with me on the promises of GOD! Surely HE will get the Glory! I am so grateful to have such caring, thoughtful, loving women of GOD as my sisters in Christ. I did see your response and I am trying to find that song that you mentioned. Thanks again.
Blessings and love,
LaTonya