God has really been showing me lately how easy it is to get stuck in a rut. We had a few snow storms up here in Northern Oregon lately which is not real common for the area, and it practically shut the city down. One day as we were taking an extra pair of chains to a friend of ours, our car got into one of the ruts of snow and ice. Now what was really interesting and scary was that we tried to turn the wheel to turn onto his road, but the car kept going forward. Then all the sudden the rut ended and the car wanted to turn way too much, because we were over compensating. It's kind of like over eating for 10 years and then trying to go on a crash diet for 2 weeks trying to loose the extra ## of pounds you gained. (Yes I'm dieting but at a nice even pace) :) But what God has really been pointing out to me is even though He never changes and His word never changes - it's okay to change the methods we use to get the word out. If we get too focused on doing everything the way we used, to are we getting wrapped up in traditions, instead of earnestly seeking to know God more?
Like the story of Lot's wife, the angel of God told them to leave the city and not look back, but she did, and so was turned into a pillar of Salt. Genesis 19:26. We are not to yearn or look back to our former man, we are to look forward to the new life God wants to give us. We can't desire our old sinful nature and God and be successful. Blessings and Curses can not come from the same place. See God is the God of increase. He wants us to grow. If we do what we've always done or desire what we've always had, we will only have what we've always had. Why did they walk through the desert for 40 years? The trip should have only taken 11 days. It was because they kept looking back at where they came from instead of trusting God in where He was taking them.
I think it is important for us not to get too caught up in "Those were the good ole days". If God is the same, and his blessings are the same. If God's word never returns void, then how come these aren't the good ole days? Shouldn't today be better than yesterday? We can't experience growth with out change. Even as I type this I'm saying to myself that I need to embrace change a little more myself to be open to God's leading in my life.
As our New Year starts, embrace the "New" that God will place in your life. I see new directions that God is wanting to lead me, and sometimes we have to give up the old to embrace the new.
Blessings my friends,
Lynn
5 comments:
hey lynn! ccc san diego is a christian city church which is a non denominational church. it was born in australia and is much like hillsong. they have planted churches all over the world. if you would like to check out the church you can visit cccsandiego.com. if you have any more questions or would like to put me in touch with your friend just let me know. i know of a lot of good churches here, but obviously, i have a special place for ours! thanks for being in touch and let me know if i can help.
So true, so true, thank you for pointing out that the good old days are the here and now. God bless!
this was great, Lynn, I needed to read these words the Lord laid upon your heart; I'm trying to re-vamp what I'm doing on certain things because I feel the Lord is leading me to but I find myself keeping wanting to look back; this is sort of a confirmation to move forward with the Lord's will
thanks for sharing :)
betty
Lynn,You always know what to say to those of us who are in a rut. As I just wrote on another blog when you get to be my age you can pretty much do what you want to but we still need to stay focused on our Heavenly Father and what He want's us to do.
Thanks for sharing,
AliceE.
That's so true. Just like the secular world are always coming up with high tech ways to pass along whatever they are selling, we need to be just as effective and high-tech with spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ. I like to call these ways....strategic maneuvars.
It's all about strategy. We can learn from the old in order to get fresh and new ideas. Great post!!Have a bless week!!
Post a Comment