Living for the Master

In this blog I share lessons I've learned and experiences I have had with God. I hope they encourage and bless you! Lynn

Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday the 13th!

Well it's Friday the 13th. wooo woooo. Are you scared yet? What if Jason comes out of the swamp at the summer camp? (am I dating myself there?)

It is funny to me to here all the different superstitions that people or cultures have.

If you spill salt you have to throw a pinch full over your shoulder. (This I used to do, why because someone told me I should....?)
You have to leave a house you are visiting out the same door you came in.
Don't walk under a ladder.
Don't step on a crack or you'll break your Mama's back.
Don't let a black Cat cross your path.
If you break a mirror you will have seven years of bad luck.
Four leafed clovers are good luck.
A Rabbit foot is good luck.
And have you ever been to a Bingo parlor. The "Regulars" Oh they have a whole set up and system going there... don't mess with their table or dabbers or how it is all set up. :)
I have couple of friends that are Hawaiian and they have a lot of things they do to not upset the spirits. One of them is born again church going believer but was brought up in the culture that you had to please the spirits, of the mountains, of the trees. She believed you could not spend any money on January 1st or it meant you would be spending money all year long.

I used to have this thing about clothes I would wear. Oh last time I wore that ... the car had a flat. That was the shirt I wore when I got into a fight with my friend. Silly huh? Well I thought I was the only one that had that particular "superstition" until recently I heard someone else mention something about it.

What I choose (I say that because you really do need to make a choice) is a relationship with Jesus. He is more than enough to take care of any need any circumstance that may come up in my life.

2 Corinthians 12:9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Ephesians 1:19 and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power

Philippians 4:19 And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

Are you seeing something here? God is what we need, not some magic formula or potion. Superstitions are Fears. God tells us 365 times in the bible to "Fear Not", one for each day of the year.

2 Timothy1:7 For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

Proverbs 3:25-26
25 Do not be afraid of sudden terror, Nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes;
26 For the LORD will be your confidence, And will keep your foot from being caught.

Psalm 56:11 In God I have put my trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?

So next time Friday the 13th or any of the other superstitions that we've heard for years pops into your mind, cast that vain imagination down and turn your focus on God. He really is our sufficiency. There is nothing He can't handle, nothing that Jesus didn't already conquer on the cross.

Rejoice it's Friday for most of us the weekend.
Have a Blessed one.
Lynn

2 comments:

Shirley Mary said...

I enjoyed your post. I have heard of most of these superstitions but haven't thought about them in a long time. I had an uncle that absolutely WOULD NOT cross the path of a black cat. If he was driving he would go a different route.
When I was a child, I didn't really believe the superstition about the crack and breaking your mother's back. But for some reason, I ALWAYS stepped over the crack.

And the one about the rabbit. . his foot sure didn't bring him good luck!

The things that you said about Jesus being the real answer to any superstition was very good.

mary

Plant Lady said...

Lynn,
Just as quick note to say hello! Today is a family reunion on my mom's side of the family. We always have it on Father's Day because almost all of the people are here to visit their dads and it is easy to get everyone all together. We usually have about 100 people. I have cooked two large casseroles, and a large bowl full of mixed vegetables. So much for the "diet" today!

Hope you have a great day!
Love,
Plant Lady