Living for the Master

In this blog I share lessons I've learned and experiences I have had with God. I hope they encourage and bless you! Lynn

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Fathers Day Dad

There are so many things I want to say.

My heavenly Father is known by almost everyone, even if they don't believe in Him or honor Him. He has done great miracles, healed the sick, made the lame walk. He gave up His son, for my sins so I could walk with my head held high. I love Him more than I thought I could ever love anyone. I am so truly grateful for all he is.

Today however was set aside by someone, to honor our earthly Fathers. Now I believe we should honor our earthly Dads all the time not just on one day a year, but today is their day. If nothing else its a day to reflect back on what things you and your Father shared.

Because my Parents separated when I was 15 most of my memories are from when I was real young, but they are still precious to me.

When I was a little girl we lived by a lumber mill and my Dad drove truck, one day I stood by the fence and waved as he was driving by. He stopped the truck and got out, I thought I was in trouble for being out side of the fence, he said no you're not in trouble, go tell your Mom you're going on a ride with me and we'll be back in a couple of hours. That was awesome.

Dad would rake the leaves and put them on a tarp, he'd let me lay on top then he'd drag me around the yard.

We had sheep, and rabbits, some were pets and some were food.

Dad would take me up on the mountain, and we would target practice almost every Sunday after church.

Dad would go pheasant hunting and we had an old International pickup. We would get on the canal banks where the ditch riders roads would drive back and forth to open the irrigation gates and Dad would put the pickup in Granny gear and let me drive behind him. I could hardly reach the pedals, but I learned to drive. Out in the country, you're driving tractors at 9. At least you used to.

He loved goodies and a Pepsi or cup of tea after dinner.

We would go fishing and I would catch bugs for him to put on the hooks.

We went camping almost every weekend in the summers, it was so fun all of us in a big army tent. And more fishing.

Not many will know my Dad, but to a little country girl, he was super man.


Happy Fathers Day Dad..... You're Awesome.



This is my Dad's Mom, Dad on the far right, Me next to Dad, my Daughter, and her Daughter.
5 Generations :) 2004


Love,
Lynn

5 comments:

Plant Lady said...

Lynn,
What a wonderful post and what special memories of your dad! I think it turned out great! I'm glad that you chose to honor your dad in this way.

Some of the things that you mentioned brought back some fond memories for me also as I did similar things with my daddy as a child. I would follow him around the farm and would "take a break" and have a Pepsi party and many other wonderful times, just the two of us.

We took frequent trips to the livestock market-he called it the hog market, where we would get an Orange crush and chocolate cookies as we waited for our hogs to sell.

Another wonderful trip was to the feed mill where we would get our corn ground into food for the hogs. The mill made a particular noise as it was grinding the corn and I mastered the sound of it and repeated it to anyone who wanted to hear! That was Daddy's favorite "bragging right" and told many people that I could sound just like it! I was thrilled to perform the feat! At the feed mill, we would get a Mt. Dew and chocolate cookies!

Lynn, It sounds as though we both have great dads and I know that they love us very much. I hope they had a GREAT FATHER'S DAY!

I love hearing all your stories of your childhood. It sounds like we are VERY much alike.

Take care,
Plan Lady

Sharon said...

awwww what a nice post. You had a blessed weekend I bet!
I do have a question for you how are you adding those pictures and changing your backgrounds??
I am setting up a blog for the church and he wants me to put a waterfall in the background but I just don't know how... any pointers?? thanks.
Hope to chat again soon. :)
Sharon

Shirley Mary said...

Let me say first of all that the post for today on my blog was definitely a result from reading your post on "I Want to Be Bold"

I'm glad that your husband has been such a strength and help in your life. And that's the way is should be. I, too, am blessed with a husband that has certainly had a positive influence on my life.

I enjoyed reading today's tribute to both your Heavenly Father and your earthly Father. Reading the memories of your dad brought back memories of my dad.

After I got married, I lived about a hundred miles from my hometown. I lived in a garage apartment. One day, I heard a car horn and looked out the window and saw my dad waving to me to come down. He was there on some kind of business and took me with him all day. A precious memory.

I was a "daddy's girl". He has been gone many years but the imprint of his life will always be with me.

I have no way of proving this but a few weeks before my mother's death for a few minutes one day I "felt" my dad's presence.

mary

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Okay your header wins the best header ever award. Just gorgeous! Love it! So glad to have you join us Lynn on Mondays for Cover to Cover. I loved the way you said that your beautiful God has turned you from quiet to content to be who He made you to be. That's awesome. Look forward to knowing you. Bev

Lynn - JnL4God said...

Glad I could spark memories for some of you. I just spoke with my Dad he read the copy of this that I emailed him and said he was really happy with this and said it sparked memories for Him also.
Thanks,
Lynn