One evening my husband and I were on our way to a hockey game. We parked in our favorite spot which is about 4-5 blocks from the coliseum. When we were crossing the street right in front there was a young man (early 20's) dressed in what looked like a toga, a wreath on his head to signify the crown of thorns and a life size cross. He was yelling loudly "Repent you sinners, you're all going to hell" "Come to Jesus and be saved". It was a good message, it seemed like he had a great heart for God, however I wasn't sure the method in which he was spreading the word was best suited for the audience. I am not that bold. I try to use discernment and Godly wisdom in sharing Gods word. I want to be bold & I want it to be evident that I stand for Jesus. I don't want to deny him in any way, but I want to portray Him in a way that draws people to Him. I was concerned that with all the criticism that Christians receive he was drawing negative attention to God. But I started wondering, am I holding back too much? I share when I thing there's an open door.
So now as I was doing my other Bible Study, It brought this episode back to my remembrance and made me ask the question again, do I hold back too much.
Here's two revelations that God shared with me.
1. The parable of the talents. Matthew 25:14-28
14"Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them. 15To one he gave five talents of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16The man who had received the five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five more. 17So also, the one with the two talents gained two more. 18But the man who had received the one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money.
19"After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. 20The man who had received the five talents brought the other five. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.'
21"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'
22"The man with the two talents also came. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with two talents; see, I have gained two more.'
23"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'
24"Then the man who had received the one talent came. 'Master,' he said, 'I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.'
26"His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.
28" 'Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents.
His words are special nuggets not to be hidden but to be shared and experienced.
Matthew 5:15
15 No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. (nlt)
The Second thing that God shared,is when God made Solomon King, in 1 Kings 3:5-14
5 At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, "Ask for whatever you want me to give you."
6 Solomon answered, "You have shown great kindness to your servant, my father David, because he was faithful to you and righteous and upright in heart. You have continued this great kindness to him and have given him a son to sit on his throne this very day.
7 "Now, O LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. 8 Your servant is here among the people you have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number. 9 So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?"
10 The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this. 11 So God said to him, "Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, 12 I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be. 13 Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for—both riches and honor—so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. 14 And if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life."
God wants us to be passionate about Him and His word.
Spend time in Gods word to know Him.
Spend time in prayer so God knows you. (He does already but He wants to hear it.)
Spend time being quiet so you can hear his still small voice whispering that he Loves you and that He is there to guide you.
BE BLESSED
Lynn
5 comments:
Lynn,
Great post! I want so much to be discerning about the way in which God calls me to use my talents to witness for Him. I, too, have seen people who were witnessing in such a way that even I felt "turned off" by their methods. I believe the most effective way I have seen is to be "relational". Developing a relationship with a person seems to be a better way to start a conversation about what God has done. I have always heard that someone has a very difficult time in objecting to a person's own testimony of what God has done for them.
In thinking of the accounts in the Bible, Jesus did a "relational" type of witnessing. His love was shown to them by the way He interacted with them. He never condemned, but by His holy presence they were convicted of their sins.
The only time I can remember that Jesus raised His voice in anger was when He cast out the moneychangers.
Hope you have a great day! I hope to post later today. Come visit me!
Plant Lady
Hey Lynn,
Thank you, yes trying to get back in action. healing is going well, just having a problem with my left arm, they hit a nerve when they were putting the iv in, so there is alot of pain, when i went to the doctor on monday they said to use cold compresses and that it can take a few weeks to couple of mths before it will go away! Great right! ohhhh well.
you have been working on your sight as well it's really beautiful, where did you get that beautiful picture from wow, i like that.
We have a place here in tampa called ybor city, and some of those people are there screaming at the people there telling them/myself that we are going to hell, so one night we stopped and asked, why they we were going to hell, they said it was because we were in ybor city, we said because we came out to dinner and went to starbuck's were going to hell?!
they said yes!!! we told them we think it's the other way around, this is not what jesus would want them to be doing. Some people have issue's don't they!
well have a Blessed day, you and your family
Sharon
Thanks, Lynn, for visiting my blog. Yes, I like music but can't carry a tune. I'm glad God takes us just as we are.
Be blessed,
AliceE.
The title, "I want to be BOLD" immediately caught my eye. I always feel conviction when anything is said about verbal witnessing. It also brought to mind something I will probably write about next week unless I feel impressed otherwise.
But, regardless, thanks for your thoughts and the scriptures given.
mary
Love it! I too want to be more bold as well. I have been witnessing more, but I want to GOD to use me even the more. Thanks for sharing the wisdom. It was blessed indeed. GOD BLess!
LaTonya
Post a Comment