I have a co-worker that is a believer. But as many of you know us believers can have issues too. Being a believer doesn't mean we've arrived, hopefully it means we are working at it. Mr. X can go around quoting scriptures from the Old Testament and can be very legalistic about a lot of things. But on the other hand he is rebellious and can twist and manipulate things to make everything he does "okay".
I once heard that God puts people in our lives that are like sandpaper to refine us. And dealing with Mr. X is my sandpaper, I used to make jokes about does it have to be 80 grit. :) Along with all of this he is also dramatic, and paranoid, thinking everyone is out to get him. I have tried more than once to point these things out and have finally resolved to the fact that he just does not see them.
There was a lesson that God gave me to show him that he at least acknowledged.......
A coworker got promoted to a position he wanted. He was really upset and very demeaning of the person and dramatic about it. He said it was because she was a family friend and he wouldn't follow any guidelines or rules she set up because she didn't deserve the position she got and wasn't worthy. He's like that with the laws of the land too. He won't follow them if he thinks they are stupid. (I wonder if any of us do that at times, it's a stupid rule so I don't have to do it. ouch)
Well God gave me the most awesome word at the time, and I will try to reproduce it as best as possible it went something like this:
None of us deserve any of the positions we are in. We got this position because God loved us so much that He sent his son to die so that we could have this position. None of us start out knowing what to do or how to do it, we have to be lead and guided. None of us are worthy without the blood of Jesus and all the rules in life were set by unworthy people. When we obey a rule or a law we do it in obedience to God not that person. If we are faithful to God he will promote us when the time is right.
He did thank me and I felt as if he would spend some time reflecting on it, but it appeared to fall away like the seed on the rocks. (it stayed in my heart so maybe it was for me more than him.)
Matthew 13
18 “Now listen to the explanation of the parable about the farmer planting seeds: 19 The seed that fell on the footpath represents those who hear the message about the Kingdom and don’t understand it. Then the evil one comes and snatches away the seed that was planted in their hearts. 20 The seed on the rocky soil represents those who hear the message and immediately receive it with joy. 21 But since they don’t have deep roots, they don’t last long. They fall away as soon as they have problems or are persecuted for believing God’s word. 22 The seed that fell among the thorns represents those who hear God’s word, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life and the lure of wealth, so no fruit is produced. 23 The seed that fell on good soil represents those who truly hear and understand God’s word and produce a harvest of thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times as much as had been planted!”
God has been impressing on me lately that we have to have balance. We need to be tenacious, but loving, we need to abide to his commandments but have mercy when we and others fall short. We ALL have a position, and we all are in different stages or Positions in our life. We are all given different ministries, gifts, talents, and positions. We can't all be arms or legs, some need to be eyes and ears.
For some reason I was taking the care of his actions upon myself. Since he was a representative of Christ I felt I needed to make him act in the way I perceived God wanted him or I to act. When others would complain about him, I felt it would be a bad reflection on God. I was playing Holy Ghost Jr. :) God will take care of his own reputation. My responsibility in this was to pray for him not change him. I just need to do the lessons and hold the position God gave me. And in the meantime, God will give me the strength and wisdom to walk in love and love the unlovely.
Be Blessed,
Lynn
Proverbs 3: 5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
Proverbs 4:5 Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them.
1 Peter 5:7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.
5 comments:
Lynn,
Wonderful post and Oh, so true!
BALANCE IS THE KEY!
Have a great weekend! I'll post tomorow, hopefully!
Plant Lady
Thanks for your post on my blog. I'm doing find as far as the request for prayer is concerned. I have not had any problems since I went to the doctor and she told me everything was in place and fine. She said I was having bladder spams and could take medication for it but I don't believe I will have to. I truly believe God has healed me.
I am having some pain in my right hip. Possibly from the back surgery I had a year ago May
17th. Hopefully it's just a nerve and the medicine I'm taking with help. Please keep me in your prayers.
I read your post. When I was working I had an office supervisor who was a Christian and a friend. Most of the time we got along fine. Sometimes we had some
conflict but were always able to work them out. It was our director that I had problems with and God moved me out of that position after almost 30 yrs and the last 4 years I had a wonderful director, but also had some problems with some others. Finally because of health problems I had to go on medical leave and never went back. What a blessing. I enjoyed my work but I really don't miss it.
God didn't say our trials would not be heavy but He did say He would see us through them. If you get a chance and have not read it, read the words of the song Through the Fire on my blog.
Have you noticed that Rachel has posted today. She's had a hard time lately and needs our prayers. Also I checked the comments on The Sinful Woman and Vickie from Nigeria had posted a prayer request. Her 14 yr old son died May 29th after being ill for 3days. You should read it. It is heart breaking.
Thanks again for your comments. This is a great group and I feel the Holy Spirit is drawing us closer together. It's hard to imagine that happening here but it is. Praise God. I need this more than anyone will ever know.
God bless,
AliceE.
Great post and boy, had to take a step back and check myself. I also have some fellow coworkers who are believers that "I" felt didn't represent HIM like "I" thought HE should be represented. I guess I thought I was Holy Ghost JR. as well, LOL, :). But, oh thank GOD for his mercy. It is true, we cannot change people, but prayer for GOD's will to be done can.
God Bless!
LaTonya/FL
Lynn,
I'm so sorry that my blog has given you trouble! I don't know what the deal is!
This post is very interesting to me because I have a similar coworker. He is VERY legalistic. And he believes that his denomination is the only "correct" one. But, he sits around and gossips and talks ugly about other people and he's very rude when people come to him and want things and others in the office don't like to deal with him and will come to me, and like you said, I have often found myself concerned with the impression he is leaving with other people, and you're right, it's not my concern. That's between him and God!
Feel free to email me if you still can't get through to my comments.
m.vasquez@grandecom.net
Blessings
Michelle
Lynn, this is good. The word you had for Mr. X was OUTSTANDING. We don't deserve anything. I take that back, we deserve HELL. We really do. But Christ in His mercy and grace gives us so much more. If we have NOTHING but Jesus, do we really need more. To have Jesus and working the lowest job possible (in sewage, say) would be worth more than being the richest ball player. Really and truly. Plus, this earth is ONLY temporary. It is not our final home and to me, I believe we ALL will be leaving this earth sooner than we think as in a decade.
Wonderful, wonderful word to your co-worker, again. Plus, I love your insight that he MAY not have totally absorbed what you said BUT it may have not been for him but for you. How true, so many times we do/act/serve to find out it was for US and not the other person. It was for our pruning and perfecting of our character to His. I think MOST of what happens in this life in turn becomes a lesson for ourselves. But all is good because as I've said before, it's worth the pruning and pain to become more like HIM...oh our precious Jesus!!!!
Love ya, girl!
Paula
Post a Comment