
Here are some thoughts that lingered from my Chronological reading Hosted by Bev.
Isaiah 57:13 - "When you cry out let your collections of Idols deliver you" Because of doing the other Bible study "No other gods" and because we have been reading so much the last couple of weeks about the people having Idols, I have been really trying to examine how I am looking at things and people. I want to be right with God so I'm doing the "Lynn is that an Idol in your life? :) So this part of the scripture really hit. Then as you continue the scripture "But the wind will carry them away, a breath will take them". If your honest with yourself these things we look up to are temporal - God is the only one that is lasting . Then the scripture ends with "But he who puts his trust in Me shall possess the land, and shall inherit My holy mountain". .
We need to make sure we keep our focus in the right place.
Jeremiah 1:5 - Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you, I ordained you a __________ He was talking to Jeremiah and he ordained him to be a prophet to the nations. But what about you and I. What has God sanctified us for. What is our holy purpose are we walking in the full of what God had planned for us?
The rest that lingers is sort of general, the book of Zephaniah and 2 Chronicles 33 reminded me of me as a parent wanting so much for my children to do the right thing. How God loving his people so much wanted so much for the people to repent. I can remember saying "Please do the right thing Pleeeeese. :) God in His mercy did not want to bring judgement and gave warning after warning. In 2 Chronicles I noticed how Hezekiah's son Manasseh built up the idols and wooden images which his father had broken down. So after the Lord sent the army in to destroy them Manasseh got wise and repented and made things right with God. Then Manasseh's son Amon who took over after his death, did the same thing by worshiping the wooden images and Idols however he did not humble himself before the Lord as his father and grandfather had. Look what was was passed down. But Family curses can be broken, look at Amon's Son Josiah.
2 Chronicles 34:2-3
2 He did what was right in the eyes of the LORD and walked in the ways of his father David, not turning aside to the right or to the left.
3 In the eighth year of his reign, while he was still young, he began to seek the God of his father David. In his twelfth year he began to purge Judah and Jerusalem of high places, Asherah poles, carved idols and cast images.
When things have been strongholds in your family for generations, these scriptures are encouraging. I unfortunately passed some of my insecurities down before I overcame them. But I am praying and encouraging my daughter to break the cycle before it is passed down again.
Be encouraged and Blessed this week.
Lynn
8 comments:
Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. And the picture on top of yours is beautiful, I love the beauty of his skies. And I love your cover to cover post, a great reminder to seek Gods will daily
Lynn, I'm not even doing "No Other Gods," but something struck me so this week about tearing down those idols too. You have some great insights to mull over. I, too, thought about God as parent this week, pleading with His children to do what is right and not waver. I am so glad to get to know you a little better through your Cover to Cover posts. Have a blessed week. Love, Annette
Great post. Has me searching myself to see if there are any idols in my life and praying that nothing has been passed down to my children as well.
Lynn,
Thank you for visiting my blog. I really relate to this post about tearing down idols. When you think about the smallest of things that take God's place in our lives it would surely fill up a book!!
I, too find myself saying to my teenage boys--"please, do the right thing". The world has such a stronghold on them as far as idols. They want for "things" more than they want Jesus and it makes me sad. I know that these years are known for their selfishness but I fear for them. Must keep praying for these young men.
Have a wonderful day!
Kim
I am right with you in doing the NOG study...amazing how many things are creeping up that I need to release and lay down...a bit humbling but you are right we don't want anything to take the place that is rightfully God's.
That is really interesting about how the sons can either follow in bad ways or be their own man and walk righteously...it is encouraging for those things that we wish we hadn't passed down the line.
Bless you this week and great post!
Lynn your blog post was right on target! I am so glad I have met you through written pages. You are such an encouragement.
Kim
Going out of town in a few minutes so I didn't have time to read your post. . will get back to it later!
Hey, this is getting real interesting! No, that was not the recipe but now there may be two in the world!! Who knows there may be others on the planet earth!
Thanks for writing it down. I don't think I will try it. . . I haven't forgot the taste of the one I had!
mary
I did the NOG study and it meant so much to read these verses. So surprising to me how many children of the kings turned to served themselves and other gods. Thank you so much!
Post a Comment