Living for the Master

In this blog I share lessons I've learned and experiences I have had with God. I hope they encourage and bless you! Lynn

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Frog in a Pan


Do you know about the Frog in the Pan? I first heard of this about 12 years ago at a church I was going to at the time.

If you put a frog in a pan of cold water he can be content and stay there, then you gradually turn the heat up just a little. Then you wait a while and turn the heat on a little more. And after waiting you turn the heat on even a little more. After doing this for a long time you will eventually get the water to boil and the frog will not jump out because you have done this so slowly that at each stage it has had time to adjust to the difference.


Now I use this term a lot in my life for various reasons however the point that the Pastor was trying to get across that night was that is how complacency comes and overtakes us. We don't always start out making these radical changes and accepting them. But in time we become desensitised. Little by little we are changing to accept things that maybe we wouldn't have thought we would.


Our eyes, ears and mouth are portholes to our heart. Our heart is where treasure is laid up.

What are we allowing our eyes to see? What do we allow our ears to hear. Lets not talk about the mouth. :) Subjecting ourselves to worldly ways and trying to stay pure for God is like being in a pool that someone urinated in. It eventually gets on you.
So now I do my balance speech again. We have to have balance, we need to go into the world to affect others lives, but we need to spend time fellow shipping with other like minded Christians.
Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking or neglecting to assemble together [as believers], as is the habit of some people, but admonishing (warning, urging, and encouraging) one another, and all the more faithfully as you see the day approaching.
I knew someone that was working on their reading. As they read they were being corrected, to which their comment was "I read fine when I read to myself, I just can't read aloud" They read fine to themselves because they had no one to check their work. They obviously thought they were fine. I heard another story that a man had eaten spaghetti and gotten it on his shirt but didn't has a mirror to look in. So he went around for a long while thinking he was all that until someone came over and saw his shirt to let him know that he had the spot.
Ladies we are good at deceiving ourselves and justifying what we do and see and say. In areas that I may struggle, I am thankful that my husband and friends around me gently remind me to get back on track. (I have a post-it note on my desk that says "KMS" - (keep mouth shut))
Don't let complacency overtake you. Don't let the worlds ways influence the decisions you make. We can't stay in the 1920's but that doesn't mean we have to compromise our integrity, just to stay up with the times.
Don't be the Frog in the pan! :)
Be Blessed,
Lynn
PS Check out my other Blog and as always please leave a comment so I know you stopped by.
Lynn

5 comments:

debrah said...

Good Morning Lynn- This is the second time this week that I heard the Frog story! Thank you for posting this - even something like watching t.v becomes a challenge if you are lucky enough to find a program that is non offensive to Christianity -you are assaulted with offensive commercials.
I am amazed that in the church you can find differing views on what I would believe are opposed to God's word. I agree it so important that we as Christians receive and offer correction in the light of God's word. It is sometimes uncomfortable to approach someone with correction...but we need to love each other enough to face being rejected by them(for a time).
Even when this is done with love and compassion...people still get their feelings hurt- I know I do...but I have appreciated those who took that step so that I was able to turn around and repent.
Have a great week-end
Debrah

Sharon said...

Hello Lynn,
I have a surprise for you but you must go to my website to get it.
Huggsss & blessings
Sharon

From the Heart said...

That was a great post. You have a very good gift of writing. May God always bless you. Your posts are always enlightening.
AliceE.

Paula V said...

I have heard of the frog story years ago. It is a great analogy to use for many complacency issues...especially as a warning for our Christian walk.

Love, Paula

Kay Martin said...

Apathy and making peace with anything that doesn't please our Heavenly Father is serious business. Our culture in the information age makes this even more relevant than in our ancestors' time.

Last night I was sharing with some friends at prayer group of a developer wanting to get zoning changed in a lot near our homes. He came around to houses to get approval with his lovely architectural drawings, but one lady was not positive about his hopes. He threatened her if he didn't get approval he would put some ugly unsightly construction. I am the spokesperson for the neighborhood and I am appalled that this professional developer would do such a thing. A commercial realtor was among us and he said this is a typical tactic among developers, but he wouldn't go through with the threat because it wouldn't make money for him.

The concept that it is good business to threaten homeowners who are not business savvy to get your zoning proposal voted without opposition is appalling to me.

This is one tiny example of the culture and the ethics of greed.

I know many ethical and excellent business people. I refuse to believe that these types are the typical...that just cannot be.