Living for the Master

In this blog I share lessons I've learned and experiences I have had with God. I hope they encourage and bless you! Lynn

Friday, April 18, 2008

Jesus and a parking spot!

A few years ago I worked for a small office that only had street parking, (ya parallel, special huh?) first come first serve. So needless to say, the later you got to work the farther you could potentially end up walking.

After being there for awhile I developed a friendship with a young single mother that had an on again, off again relationship with the father of her son.

She knew my husband and were Christians and often asked for prayers or advise. She would talk of how her Grandma used to pray for her, before she passed away. Our friendship grew, and we started taking lunches together. She had grown up close to this neighborhood and knew of a tanning salon that we could tan at on our lunch for 20 minutes, eat in the car and be back to work, within our lunch break. Now this worked pretty slick, and considering I'm very light skinned the aspect of having a little more color was appealing to me. (No it was not my 1st time of tanning) So we started our new lunch adventures. Now there were days we didn't have our lunch so we would stop at Burger King or Taco Bell on the way back and eat as I drove back to the office. However there was a little problem... A parking space. Now I was pretty good at getting one right in front in the mornings but at noon, if you leave, your spot was up for grabs.

So I one day about two blocks from the office, aloud I stated "Thank you Jesus for our good parking spot". I really didn't think anything other than God provides, sure enough we got a good spot, just a few away from the original. So this continued to be our routine, every time we would tan on our lunch. However one day we were really in a hurry, traffic was bad, and my friend said to me, "Aren't you going to say your thing?" Puzzled I asked "What thing?" She said "You know - about Jesus and the Parking Spot?" Wow, what a revelation for me. I said my prayer out loud as usual, but inside, I had a whirlwind of meditation going on. She had listened, was God getting through to her?

Fast forward, Her and her son ended up going camping with us and she accepted the Lord. Fast forward again, I have lost contact with her, however the last I spoke with her, She and the sons father were married and working at a happy family.

This is such a great reminder to me that what I do, what I say and how I act, can shape how someone else receives God. I am to be a reflection of Him. I was made in His image. This is both scary and wonderful. I am such a work in progress and God takes me and loves me where I am at, but I need to be mindful of representing Him in His glory. We may be the only light that someone has in their life. Shine bright so they will see HIS way.

Father I pray that I would represent you well. Help me to be the person that you have called me to be. Show me how to shine a light that would draw people to you not push them away. Help me say what you would have me say to encourage and edify your children.
In Jesus' precious name,
Amen


Be Blessed,
Lynn


P.S. I'll be posting "Bryant Mountain" Pt 2 soon on my other Blog so remember to check back.

2 comments:

Paula V said...

Great story, Lynn. Many points to be taken from it. Not only do we have a huge impact on others but we see that when your friend accepted Christ, then started turning around for her. Knowing me, you know I loved to hear that she and her son's father married and are doing well. Praise God. We do serve a mighty God who turns impossible odds into amazing miracles.
In His Grasp,
Love,
Paula
PS I posted today on delightin in the Lord.

Plant Lady said...

Lynn,
Wonderful post! I just love to hear of those whose lives have been changed because of someone's obedience and dedication to the Lord. He delights in us as we reflect His glory toward others.

Blessings to you!
Plant Lady