I don't always measure my ingredients so be bold and go for it. I'll try to give measurements but I am only guessing so adjust as you want.
Here's what you will need
4 Chicken Breasts (I use boneless skinless)
2 Tbs Olive oil
1 1/2 Cups Whole Grain Rice (Brown, White - Your choice)
1 Sm Yellow Onion - Diced
4 Green Onion - Coarsely Chopped
1 -2 med Cucumber
Canned Mild Green Chili's whole or diced
Canned Diced Tomatoes
Fresh Tomatoes (equivalent to 5-6 Roma's)
Fresh Green, Red or Yellow Peppers (Optional)
1/3 bunch fresh Cilantro
Cumin
Garlic (Fresh or granules)
Salt and Pepper
Red Wine or White Vinegar
Monterrey Jack cheese ( 1 slice per chicken breast)
Heat olive oil in a skillet, rice,and yellow onion. Stir it around until it starts looking transparent, and remove from heat and pour into an oven safe dish (I use a really large clear Pyrex 9x13?)
Next Season your chicken with salt, pepper & garlic. Brown on both sides, in the skillet, cook until almost done but not quite. Place your chicken on top of the rice in the baking dish.
Now take your canned tomatoes, mix in cumin, little more garlic and more onion if you want. Now add a can of water or a can of chicken broth. Pour this mixture over the chicken and rice.
If you are using whole green chilies slice one side and lay flat over each chicken breast. (If you are using diced chilies, add to tomato mixture and spread with it.)
Bake this in the oven at 375 for about 45 Min's to an hour.
While this is baking make your salsa. Fine (for salsa) or Course (for a salad) Chop, Cucumber, Fresh Tomato, (Fresh colored pepper if desired), Green Onion, and Cilantro. Add Salt, Pepper, Garlic to taste. Now add a small amount of vinegar not to cover just a little more than to coat. Stir real well and let it chill and marinate while chicken is finishing up.
When rice is done and has absorbed all the liquid and chicken is cooked all the way through place a slice of cheese on each chicken breast. (a sprinkle of "Cotija" cheese is a nice treat too, it is a strong cheese found the refrigerated Hispanic section of the store) put back in the oven long enough to melt the cheese.
Place a chicken breast that has the chili and cheese on it on a plate, scoop out some rice and add some of the salsa on the side. Everything can be a adjusted to taste. If you make it, let me know how you like it and if you have a variation that turns out please feel free to share.
Enjoy!
I have some vegetarian things I do also so don't be dismayed if you don't like meat, I'll share those too. (Stuffed Green chili's w/ black bean sauce- for another day!)
Hope you are having a wonderful day. Don't forget to check out my other blog as I will be posting to it later. Leave a comment let me know you've stopped by, it's nice to have visitors, also then I can stop by your blog as well.
Be Blessed.
Lynn
2 comments:
Lynn,
About that "healthy eating buddy", let's go for it! I usually eat richer foods - potatoes, gravy, all those good holiday foods during the winter months and I usually put on my weight during those months. When the garden vegetables come in in the Spring, I tend to eat healthier.
Usually, in the Spring and Summer, my diet consists of fresh grilled vegetables, chicken and salads. I'm not a big fan of sweets like desserts, although I eat them occasionally. My weakness and craving is for salty foods which tends to create fluid retention, which is not good. I am working on limiting my sodium intake, by using herbs and other non-sodium seasonings to help with that problem.
Your recipe sounds very good and I'm sure I would like it. I love chicken and I haven't met a vegetable I didn't like!
Summers here in North Carolina come with very high humidity. I am outside a lot and sometimes I really would rather have a glass of iced tea, sweet of course, a Southern tradition!
I have a really good salad recipe my niece gave me. She prepared it for Easter when we went to my sister's house. It calls for the romaine lettuce mixture along with a mix of spring greens. She adds shredded mozzarella cheese, sliced seedless grapes, any fruit really and pecans which have been coated with a mixture of brown sugar and butter. She used the Kraft sun-dried tomato dressing/marinade. It was delicious! Here is her recipe:
1 pkg halved pecans
1 stick butter
1/2 unpacked lightbrown sugar
In mixing bowl, melt butter in microwave for three minutes. Add light brown sugar, mix and heat for three to four more minutes. Take out, stir and mix in nuts to evenly coat. Place on wax paper and allow to cool or enjoy warm.
She used red onions, grapes, strawberries, mozz. cheese, radish, green pepper, Italian seasonings, and baby spinach.
The pecans can be used as is and not in the salad. They are a good snack if you limit yourself. I tend to go overboard because they're so good.
I hope to post tomorrow on my blog. Since we are doing the Proverbs 31 Woman, I will share a special event in the courtship of my husband and myself.
See you tomorrow!
Plant Lady
Plant Lady,
Sounds good, I'll give it a try.
It will be good to encourage each other too.
Thanks,
Lynn
Post a Comment